Putting in and taking out contact lenses is easier than you might think. It may take a little getting used to, but soon you’ll be doing it without a second thought.
How to put in contact lenses
Before you touch your eyes or contact lenses, always wash your hands with soap (preferably non-perfumed, anti-bacterial liquid soap). Thoroughly rinse and then dry your hands with a lint-free towel.
It’s a good idea to always put in the lens for your right eye first. This way you won’t get your lenses mixed up.
Check the lens isn't inside out. To work out which way round it is, just put the lens on the tip of your finger and hold it up to the light. If the edges flare out, it's inside out. If it looks like a smooth edged cup, it’s ready to go.
Most ACUVUE® lenses also have a 123 indicator, so you can easily tell when they are inside out. Just hold the lens up to the light and if the numbers are the right way round, so is the lens.
- Using your other hand, carefully hold your upper eyelid so you don’t blink.
- Carefully pull down your lower eyelid with the other fingers of your applying hand.
- Move the contact lens towards your eye calmly and steadily. It may help to look upwards as you place it on your eye.
- Slowly release your eyelid and close your eye for a moment to allow the lens to settle.
- Follow the same steps for your left eye.
How to remove contact lenses
- Before you touch your eyes or contact lenses, always wash your hands with soap (preferably non-perfumed, anti-bacterial liquid soap). Thoroughly rinse and then dry your hands with a lint-free towel.
- Start with your right eye to avoid mixing up your lenses.
- Look up at the ceiling and carefully pull down your lower eyelid with your middle finger.
- Slowly bring your index finger close to your eye until you touch the lower edge of the lens.
- Slide the lens down to the lower white part of your eye.
- Gently squeeze the lens between your thumb and index finger and remove it.
- Remove your left lens in the same way.
- Discard daily disposable lenses. Clean and disinfect reusable lenses. For a quick, effective method for cleaning reusable lenses, follow our easy routine here.
- Never rinse your lenses or your contact lens case with tap water.
If you need a helping hand wearing or caring for your contact lenses, our LENSPAL™ app can give you all the guidance you need.