Contact lenses are great for travelling. These travel tips will ensure your journey goes as smoothly as possible.
Packing for your trip
- Wear ACUVUE® daily disposable contact lenses such as 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® or 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST when you travel, so you don’t have to carry around solutions and lens cases.
- If you wear reusable contact lenses, it’s a good idea to bring an extra pair or two in case you lose or damage your current pair.
Or you could consider asking your optician about trying daily disposable lenses for your holiday, so you don’t have to carry bulky lens solutions.
- Rather than packing a full size bottle of contact lens solution, opt for a travel size.
You are allowed to take small amounts (usually up to 100 ml) of eye drops and other liquids on to a plane in a transparent plastic bag. Volumes greater than that may only be permitted in your checked baggage.
Always check with your airline before you fly.
- Keep your lenses, contact lens case and travel-size solution in your hand luggage so they don’t get lost in transit.
- The pressurised environment in aircraft cabins can cause some bottles and lens cases to leak. Put your contact lens case and solution in a zip-lock bag and you won’t find a puddle in the bottom of your luggage!
Travelling by air
The high-pressure and dry air of an aircraft cabin can dehydrate your eyes and skin. This can make your contact lenses less comfortable than usual. Here are some tips for a more comfortable journey:
- ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses have a high moisture content to keep your eyes comfortable, fresh and moist in this challenging environment.
- Carry a bottle or individual doses of rewetting drops to relieve dry eyes and a small tube of moisturiser for your skin.
- Drink lots of water to keep as hydrated as possible.
- Bring your glasses and contact lens case with you in case you want to take out your contact lenses.
- Remove your contact lenses if you want to sleep.
Before touching your eyes or lenses, remember to wash your hands with soap. Then thoroughly rinse and dry them with a lint-free towel.
- Consider applying a fresh pair of lenses when you reach your destination for maximum comfort.
- For a real treat, take out your contact lenses and pamper yourself during the flight with a moisturising eye mask, so you can land with super fresh, sparkling eyes!
If you are travelling to a sunny spot, be sure to read all about how to help protect your eyes from the sun.